Chicago Crime Roundup March 17 2011

Chicago Crime Roundup

Shot fired during armed robbery starts gas station fire

An errant bullet fired during an armed robbery started a fire at an Oak Park gas station late Tuesday afternoon.

Police and fire personnel responded to reports of an armed robbery at Valero gas station, 100 Chicago Ave., at 4 p.m. Tuesday. According to an initial police report, a man walked into the gas station and displayed a firearm and pointed it an employee. He then grabbed the cash register drawer, which had an unknown amount of money, police said.

At some point during the robbery, the gun went off and struck some combustible fluids, according to Oak Park Deputy Fire Chief Kenneth Klemm.

By the time police and fire responded, the man had fled the scene and no one was in the store. The fire was contained near the cash register.

“It was controlled in less than 10 minutes,” Klemm said, adding that the fire did not spread outside the store area.

No one was injured in the incident.

via Shot fired during armed robbery starts gas station fire — Oak Park & River Forest news, photos and events —

Man convicted of South Side double murder ordered released

On the same day former Chicago Police Cmdr. Jon Burge went to prison for lying about torture, a judge Wednesday ordered the release of a man serving a life sentence because Burge’s detectives allegedly beat a confession from him in a 1986 double murder.

An attorney for Eric Caine, 45, presented Judge William Hooks with evidence that Caine had entered the Cook County Jail in 1986 with a ruptured eardrum that was a result of trauma and not an infection. The injury was caused by a detective who hit him in the ear with a cupped hand, the attorney said.

The evidence showed Caine’s confession was coerced, said his lawyer, Russell Ainsworth. Prosecutors agreed that Caine’s civil-rights were violated, said Assistant Special Cook County State’s Attorney Andrew Levine.

Hooks dismissed the case Wednesday and Caine is expected to be freed Thursday from Menard Correctional Center, where he was serving a life sentence.

Caine was a co-defendant of Aaron Patterson, who was sentenced to death in the fatal stabbings of Vincent Sanchez, 73, and his wife, Rafaela Sanchez, 62, in their home in the 8800 block of South Burley in the South Chicago neighborhood.

via Man convicted of South Side double murder ordered released – Chicago Sun-Times.

Man shot in back on South Side

A man was shot and seriously wounded on the South Side this afternoon, a fire official said.

The man, 60, was shot in the back about 4:30 p.m. near 51st Street and King Drive in the Washington Park neighborhood, said Larry Langford, a spokesman for the Chicago Fire Department.

The man taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, Langford said.

Chicago police were called to the scene near 51st Street and Calumet Avenue — just west of where fire officials said the victim was found — just after 4:20 p.m., said Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Daniel O’Brien.

via Man shot in back on South Side –

3 arrested after Bishop Ford chase

A police chase on the Bishop Ford Expressway began after a man was shot in the Hamilton Park neighborhood and ended with three people arrested in Dolton.

About 9:45 p.m. a man was shot twice in the leg and once in the abdomen in the 6900 block of South Yale Avenue, Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said.

He was “alert and talking” and taken in to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, Langford said.

via 3 arrested after Bishop Ford chase – The SouthtownStar.

Wayne Smith Charged with 3rd Rape of Woman He Met on Facebook

A Far South Side barber accused of sexually assaulting two women he met on Facebook raped a third victim hours before one of the other attacks, Cook County prosecutors said Wednesday.

This woman had also met Wayne Smith via the social networking site but had consensual sex with him 24 hours before the early morning assault on Oct. 13, 2009, Assistant State’s Attorney Morgan Creppel said.

Prosecutors said Smith told the woman he had a gun with a silencer and would put it down her throat when he forced her onto a bed in her apartment in the 5200 block of West Montana. A police report said Smith actually branded a gun in the incident.

Two nights before, the two met and had consensual sex, prosecutors said. On Oct. 12 Smith came to the woman’s apartment, but both agreed they’d be better off as friends, Creppel said.

Smith, 25, still spent the evening but the pair argued during the night and once again in the morning as the victim got ready for work, Creppel said.

via Wayne Smith Charged with 3rd Rape of Woman He Met on Facebook.